HealthSherpa strongly believes in creating inclusive, equitable areas, which construct belief, respect and a way of belonging which might be vital to our tradition and work. We’re excited to function our colleagues and listen to extra about their experiences at HealthSherpa, from their first touchpoints all the way in which as much as their tenure and development. On this put up, hear from Vice President of Product Administration Patricia Pichardo, who opens up about why she stated sure to HealthSherpa, her private journey to mission-driven work, and what her day-to-day seems to be like.
I’ve been at HealthSherpa for nearly 2 months now. There was an acquisition at my final firm, and it led to a whole lot of change; it opened my eyes to exterior alternatives. I began getting pinged lots by recruiters and there have been attention-grabbing jobs opening up. I’d labored in liquor straight earlier than HealthSherpa; however earlier than that, I’d labored in a mission-driven setting, and I actually missed that mission connectivity.
So after I began exploring new alternatives, what actually made HealthSherpa stand out was the mission, and the chance to do what I do professionally to usher some good into the world.
Personally, when Hurricane Maria hit Puerto Rico in 2017, I discovered myself advocating for Puerto Ricans within the diaspora – it actually wakened one thing inside me. With mates and different volunteers, we have been ready to take action a lot – we helped individuals get out of the Island, helped feed kids who have been going with out meals, helped individuals get entry to fundamental wants.
After this expertise, I began fascinated by different points that weren’t essentially straight impacting one thing that I used to be near. So when Sarah (Ahn, Senior Recruiter) reached out to me about this function at HealthSherpa, it felt like a complete match for me. How would I get higher if I bought sick, and I didn’t have sufficient insurance coverage? That may be a actual difficulty, an actual downside. And HealthSherpa is fixing it – and it’s a worthwhile firm, with a dedication to variety, fairness and inclusion. It was a complete no-brainer to say sure to speak about this function.
There have been just a few issues that stood out to me:
- The human contact. I’d labored with good recruiters earlier than, however at HealthSherpa, it wasn’t simply the recruiter. Sarah launched me to the subsequent individual, who introduced the identical nice contact and humanity to the method. It was clear that the recruiter and the hiring supervisor shared the identical values, and that there was clear intention informing the method.
- The candor. Sarah and the entire individuals on the interview workforce have been very candid with me about what the actual issues have been, the actual wants have been, and what the precise actuality at HealthSherpa appeared like.
- The belief. The workforce trusted one another in a really implicit means. Later within the course of, I bought to fulfill a few of my teammates, friends and direct stories. The conversations felt natural and real with the workforce as nicely. It didn’t really feel just like the workforce was being evaded the method; they requested questions (and vice versa), and it confirmed me that the recruiter and hiring supervisor positioned a whole lot of belief within the workforce, too – and from the conversations, it felt clear that the belief existed in each instructions.
So, not solely are they human, and candid, however they belief one another. They really feel actually comfy about one another’s positions. Once I spoke to George (Chief Government Officer), he stated that he didn’t must assess whether or not I’d be a superb product chief – that was Cat’s (Chief Product Officer) job. He simply needed to determine whether or not I’d be a superb match for the corporate on the whole, and to supply the chance to ask questions of one other co-founder who wasn’t managing this function.
I get up within the morning and work out no less than 3x/week earlier than beginning the day. After this, I sit down and have some quiet time. I spend time planning my day, establishing my conferences, and making certain that I’m arrange for fulfillment for the remainder of the day. I normally have conferences after that – roughly 2-4hrs of conferences per day, and 2-4 hrs of quiet time, whether or not pre-planned or ad-hoc.
It’s an awesome combination of collaboration, listening in, and asking the suitable questions and ensuring that we’re ready to make the suitable selections. Normally my day ends with a gathering – a 1:1 with my supervisor or a direct report, or a company-wide assembly. I’d thought that this may really feel odd as a result of I used to spend time on the finish of the day by myself, however I’ve discovered this actually energizing. There’s additionally a lot to be taught – I go away the day virtually daily feeling energized and like I’m studying. I go away the times very happy.
I’ve discovered that there are issues that we take without any consideration, that aren’t as easy as they appear. Everybody is aware of about healthcare; no one goes by means of life while not having it, with out taking part on this system indirectly. There may be a lot to be taught as a shopper – and it’s unusual to consider this, as a result of it’s one thing fundamental, regular, wanted, and important. You will get sick in some unspecified time in the future, and also you will inevitably want healthcare.
So, studying the complexities of the house is admittedly vital. There are issues that you simply may assume are easy and you discover out that they’re truly very sophisticated. I’ve been approaching a whole lot of this with humility, and counting on the those that I’ve been working with to assist me get on board. I 100% should depend on my teammates to organize me and maintain me up after I make errors.
I might say two issues:
- In the event you’re fascinated by working right here, don’t assume twice. You must undoubtedly discover alternatives with us, and apply if you see one thing that could possibly be a superb match for you.
- For somebody who isn’t so certain about HealthSherpa, for no matter motive – take into account the place you might be and the impression you make the place you might be, after which take into account the potential impression you might make engaged on one thing that can assist clear up such an enormous downside. There’s nothing that feels higher than doing a job you take pleasure in, and understanding the way it will profit individuals in an enormous means.
Wish to work with Patricia and the remainder of our phenomenal workforce? Click on right here to discover present openings and listen to from extra teammates at HealthSherpa!